Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Friday, July 22, 2011

Quiet

I'll be laying low for a little while, catching my breath maybe.  Absorbing a little more of the shock that overtook us so many months ago now.  It's like that, it seeps in a bit at a time. God knows how to care for us in that way, so that we don't completely crack ...fall apart, unable to live. 
We're in a new place now, I know.  Most people have relegated Phoebe's death to history, in the past.  And that is all normal, good even.  So I understand.  It's a small number now that knows the rawness we feel in this house, that it is still there, even though we are living well, laughing, singing, playing ...they still know the tears may come at any moment ...they still know the gravity of the loss of Phoebe.  I'm glad for those few, the ones who have hung in along side us, along side me.  But it is a new phase, one we were told would come.
I want to feel the wind on my face and coldness of the water.  I want to hear the laughter of my kids ...and my husband.  All these are good things.  And I do feel and hear and live good things even though that loss is hard felt.  For me, the time has stood still.  For me, Phoebe just died ...yesterday, and the sun rising each day still surprises me because why would it when such a one has stopped living.  Phoebe's death will always be recent, there will be no long time ago ...the experience of it will just change and adjust.  There is no moving on, there is only stepping forward.
And the only way I can do that is to trust completely in God ...and in His teachings and ways ...as He taught them ...not as they have been morphed and twisted so no one feels uncomfortable and sin no longer exists...but as they truly came from Him.  I read  and hear His words ...and they are Truth.  I hold fast to that, put blinders on to the distractions and distortions ...to the politically and socially correct and acceptable.  I listen to Him as best I can, failing every day, but trying again and again.  Only God will sustain me, us ...only Him.  And sometimes, He works through others to urge me onward ...to confirm my path.
I miss Phoebe ...every day.  I want her badly to be back in my life.  It's hard to trust God in all this missing, but I know I don't have to understand it all, I just have to trust.
I'll be still for a while ...and write with pen and paper ...and maybe catch a glimpse of my girl dancing on the beach,

 Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I understand, but wanted to let you know that I'll miss you and your thought-provoking expressions of your grief and journey and your faith, which I quietly read...

    I would love to get together - I have a little story to share with you that I think you will appreciate. Drop me an email when you're up to it.

    You are all in my prayers, including your darling girl.

    Love in Christ, Carol McKinley

    ReplyDelete