Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Chapters

I think I've shared quite a bit that I am blessed with incredible friendships.  And many of them have walked down lanes no one would want.  They're women of extraordinary faith ...they've paved the way for me to really strive to trust God in all things, at all times, in all ways.  Doesn't mean I don't question, or wish for something else, but I've learned to trust Him.  These friends have prayed a lot for me and my family, for Phoebe.  They've remembered her, have stopped me, looked me in the eye, held me and told me they know this walk of mine is hard, harder than words can say ...even when the human eye makes it look easy ...the same ...whole.  They see. I love my friends ...even their struggles.  We share the joy and the suffering of this life.  Two of them begin new chapters in the next few days, and I'm asking for your prayers for them ...for all of my friends, including yourself, but most especially for these two.
I know God put both of them in my life, at different times, and in different ways ...but it was surely from Him. If you know either of them you'll concur they both radiate joy, laugh easily and love, love, love unconditionally.  One of them has lived for several years now, educating herself, caring for her three kids, working hard to make a home for the four of them.  She's succeeded.  My kids are sure of her love for them.  She's a steady, bright light in their lives.  She made special cookies for Phoebe at Christmas, wrapped in a special box, just for her.  And she makes baklava for my son ...and he's grown to expect it ...and he really, really loves it.  She hasn't had her own home for a while, though she's been safe and dry and warm.  But today she told me, (and when she did the tears welled in my eyes), in just a few short weeks she will ...have her very own home for her and her kids.  It has been a hard walk. Whenever I've acknowledged that, she's shooed me away "no, its not really, I have so much to be grateful for,  God is so so good to me." she would say.  For years, she's taught me to be grateful in the struggle, see the gifts around me.  She trained me for what would come ...and it's helped me so much.  A new beginning.  Even still, in all the goodness of this, it is a new chapter and I beg you for prayers for her and her family. 
My other friend has to say goodbye to some of her own treasures for a while.  Always a twinkle in her Irish eyes, this friend of mine lives a life of abandonment to God.  She's even, steady and unwavering in her love and commitment to those around her.  She lives unconditional love.  She's trusted and loved as two of her sons served in dangerous territory.  She's loved her kids through hormones, success, tragedies and mistakes.  She changes my glasses for me, very often, when I forget to wear the rose colored ones.  She's never afraid to turn my head ever so slightly for a whole new view.  I've learned so much from this women. I've often sung "did you ever know that you're my hero" many times over the years.  Her oldest daughter, mother of baby Grace we prayed for a few months ago, and her family are moving clear across the country.  It's come quick this date of departure.  I hear it in her voice today on the phone, as the hours pass.  It's a good move, a great one really, in many ways, earned by hard work, pursued with prudence ...but hard.  The four babies, her grandchildren, will be far away.  My friend has to say goodbye when she doesn't want to ...and I'm sure it hurts her pretty bad.  Chances are if you know her, she's prayed for you.  Pray for her now ...for all of them, but especially for her as she lets her daughter go.  Never easy, but when the distance is so great ...even harder. 
Both of these women have been there for me ...without hesitation or delay.  They've sensed what I've needed before even I knew.  They've listened and tended to the pieces of my broken heart.  They've never judged me or Phoebe. And I am grateful to them in ways too great to count.  So for now, the best I can do for them is ask for prayers for them as they each take a step in their new chapters.  I pray for grace, peace, consolation.  I pray that I can be more like them ....and I pray in thanksgiving that I've been blessed with the gift of their friendship.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment