Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Candy

I bumped into a friend the other night.  She doesn't read here.  But she mentioned she'd just received an invitation to a recipe exchange ...not even needing to prepare anything, just provide a recipe.  She said she just couldn't take even that on right now.  I laughed with her as we reflected on the busyness of now.  We all get caught up in it somehow ...not even the shopping ...the frenzy in the air.  I told her I'd posted a cookie recipe swap on my blog and only one responded ...maybe no one's really interested, or maybe it's that one little thing proving to be too much.  So ...instead, I'll give you a few of our Christmas staples that will get made no matter what ...even if not until Christmas day.

Toffee

Back when I was a kid, a woman we knew would make us this delectable toffee that once opened would last about 1 minute and 42 seconds.  For years we waited for this to come out on Christmas Eve.  My mother hid it well.  A few years after we stopped receiving this treasure, I found a recipe for toffee and started making it for my family.  It has remained a staple of this season since then, being made to give as gifts or just devour ourselves.  I taught Phoebe how to make it, so she became the maker of toffee, and held that role with serious protection.  Two years ago, I taught my  next oldest daughter the tricks of perfect timing, only to be discovered by Phoebe who immediately took command and let us all know no one was to take her rightful place as commander of toffee.  We all obliged.  She had wanted that one little thing to be hers ....and so it was.  Last year, our first Christmas without her, still deep in fog and confusion and bitter sadness, a few batches were made, but half heartedly ...and so not well.
This season, Olivia stirs and waits, stirs and waits ...with Lucy standing by waiting her turn to make a batch for some of her teachers.  Hannah lingers close by, snatching pieces of chocolate, making comments on color and timing.  It's a new season, a shared season of toffee making in our house.
I've shared the recipe lots of times, and most report being unable to make it.
The trick is in the timing ...and in cooking it until you're pretty sure it will burn and the pan will catch on fire.
I don't use a thermometer, though I am sure there are plenty of recipes out there that do, and if you are all about precision then perhaps this isn't a recipe for you.  I have a choleric temperament, naturally impatient, so when I write to cook over medium heat, know that I am constantly nudging that dial up to high ...but it works for me.

One cup of butter (2 sticks)
One cup of sugar
1tbs water
1 large candy bar, broken into pieces ( I use symphony bars with toffee and nuts)
pecans (though any nuts you want)

Use a regular saucepan and wooden spoon
Melt butter over medium heat, add sugar and tbs. of water.
Stir continuously over heat
Gradually, it will turn tan to caramel.
When it starts to have darker, coffee colored streaks as you stir, whisk it very fast, pause three seconds, whip again and pour immediately onto a cookie sheet (ungreased).
Spread around to make a nice sheet
Sprinkle choc. on top, let sit about 2 minutes,  spread with knife
Sprinkle with nuts
Put in fridge, or even freezer to harden.
Break into bite size pieces.

Another regular, which is time consuming, so reserved for just a few who are far away ... well worth the effort.  Olivia is my official helper with these tasty treats. 
From Rosie's Bakery (Boston based)
Cappuccino Shortbread Sales
2 Tbs. instant coffee powder
1 3/4 c. plus 2 Tbs. flour
1/8 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. sugar
3 Tbs. light brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1" thick chunks
1 Tbs. strong brewed coffee
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Glaze
7 oz. bittersweet choc.  (I use semi-sweet)
1 1/2 cups finely chopped, toasted almonds

Place instant coffee, flour, baking powder, salt, sugars, and cinnamon in food processor and process 5 seconds.
Distribute butter over flour mixture and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, 10 secs.
While processor is running, pour coffee and vanilla, process about 45 seconds
Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to make a 10 inch square, 3/8 inch thick
Slide square onto baking sheet and put in fridge for 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees,
Cut dough into 25 squares, then cut diagonally to make triangles.
Carefully transfer squares to baking sheet, bake until lightly golden and firm to touch ..25 to 30 minutes.
Prepare glaze over double boiler, melt choc.
Dip one edge of cooled cookie into choc., then into nuts.
Let harden for several hours

Ginger cookies

Not much ginger in these cookies, but they are a staple and well loved by anyone whose tried them.  I think my kids like these even better than chocolate chip ...which says a lot.  I've been making these cookies for fifteen years, at least, and they are still a favorite.

2/3 cup corn oil
1 cup sugar
1 egg
4 Tbs. molasses
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ginger

Mix all together, roll into balls, roll in sugar
Bake on greased cookie sheet, 350 degrees, 10 - 12 minutes.

So from our kitchen to yours ...maybe this will add a little sweetness.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh...Lisa will be sooooo happy to have this.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late to the party, but here's my favorite recipe. My kids love, love these and so does my mom and grandma. They are not too hard but crispy enough. I sprinkle the tops of the logs with Christmas sugar before baking the first time.

    Chocolate Chip Biscotti

    1 cup sugar
    1 cup oil
    3 eggs
    3 cups flour
    2 t. baking powder
    ¼ t. salt
    1 t. vanilla
    ½ cup chocolate chips

    Mix oil and sugar with a wooden spoon. Stir in eggs, one at a time. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in vanilla and chips. Refrigerate for one hour.
    Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two cookie sheets. Cut dough into four parts and form each into a 10-inch log (I do this right on the bakingsheet). Place two logs oneachsheet; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes. Cool; cut into 3/4-inch slices. Arrange cut side down and bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown,

    ReplyDelete