Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Cookie Swap

For years we participated in cookie swaps, sometimes more than one each Christmas season.  We all enjoyed it, loved seeing and tasting the different cookies.  Often even the wrapping of some cookies were so lovely we didn't want to open the package.  The funnest part for all us though was my husband's self appointment as official cookie taster.  He would award the top three ...in our own home, and it was the rare person who knew the cookies were under such scrutiny.  We laughed so much as we watched him line the cookies in front of him with a big glass of milk.  He hammed it up discussing presentation, texture, flavor, size, originality.  One friend would call me the next day and find out where she placed after the judging.  She wasn't a natural baker, so she was often relieved to find her cookie in the top three.  My girls have talked about doing it again, but I haven't initiated one.  Maybe they're still happening out there. I hope they are since they're such a nice event to prepare for and enjoy. 
I'm not up for hosting one yet, but I thought ...well, why not here.  No actual cookies perhaps, but we could certainly share recipes of a favorite cookie that has established itself as part of the Christmas tradition in our own homes.    If you want to participate, write your recipe in the comments, or email it to me at carolynwalshpiw@gmail.com, and I'll post it here for everyone.
Phoebe loved our cookie swaps ...and I'm sure she'll enjoy this one too!

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Only if you give a hint on what kind is your husband's favorite! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband does not discriminate against ANY cookie. Period. A glass of milk, and he's good to go! (One hint though: chocolate cookies have never made it to the top three, a hint of choc. okay, but not one with a chocolate base - strictly my observation)

    ReplyDelete