Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Reunion

After processing in those first moments that Phoebe was indeed dead, and after imploring God to make sense of this disaster before me, my thoughts instantly went to Phoebe's soul literally falling into the arms of the Blessed Mother.  I could not shake this image, in fact, it is the image that plays in my mind far more often than the other, painful, dreadful image of finding Phoebe. 
Years ago, thirteen actually, this month on the 15th, is the reason that image plays over and over in my mind.
My husband had headed off to a two week conference to a fairly quiet area of Maryland ...Emmitsburg.  It is the home of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, which bears significance for our family since we have home schooled for several years.  He found the area so beautiful, rich in faith, that he wanted the rest of us to visit too, tying it into a trip to D.C. So we made the plans, sent a letter off to the nun he had met, along with a picture of the kids ...the three we had at the time, just asking about places we might stay. Days later we received a call from woman who told us we were staying with her and her husband. I couldn't imagine how this had all happened ....but would later discover this kindly nun had shown the picture to Neenie. "Oh what darling children" Neenie had said. "Aren't they" sister had replied, "such a shame, they want to visit ...but ...have no place to stay.". Neenie took the bait, and our number and called us to stay with them. And here we are, years later.
Phoebe did not go to other people ...period. She would tell them not to look at her ....they couldn't resist those big blue eyes. But when we pulled into Neenie and Poppa's driveway that first time, Phoebe leapt from the car and into Neenie's arms. We were stunned. It was so unlike our girl and yet there she perched, nestled into the arms of this perfect stranger ...beaming. We would come to learn so much about the love of Blessed Mother through these two faith filled, generous souls who welcomed our growing family into their hearts and home ...and never let go.
Its this memory, this image of Phoebe, in the arms of Neenie that led me, and continues to lead me to seeing and knowing the embrace of Phoebe into the arms of the Blessed Mother. For me, it is a comfort beyond words. Always, she leads us to her son, Jesus Christ. To see my daughter there, and knowing where she would be led ...keeps me going and believing.
So tomorrow we will be back in that place of many years ago. We will be there without Phoebe, for the first time. That will be hard for me ...a necessary reunion though ...another first, one more passage.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment