Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Devotions

There's lots of things that can discourage a mother.  Trying to raise your children in the authentic faith is a daunting task ...it is so beyond the realm of the "typical."  But, I am committed and convicted to give it my all ...even when it seems unattainable.  The other day, I stole a few moments of quiet to spend some time in prayer, conversing (complaining) with God.  I wanted to say my rosary and read a little about St. Joseph.  Just a few moments of quiet, time to myself ...a few moments free from the demands, to restore, refresh.  It was Sunday ....the day of rest, yet there I was doing all the typical tasks of the day.  Sunday is a day to reflect on God a little more than usual, spend time with family, friends ...a day to stay away from the stores ...away from the regularity of life ...a time to renew.  Maria Von Trapp (Sound of Music) had written a little book, really little, called "Land Without A Sunday."  She reflected on how Russia had made Sunday ...just another day ...no different from any other ...another day away from God.  I took that book to heart.  As a child, I remember the empty parking lots, the Sunday dinner, the different pace and tone.  That changed.  Still, we try to keep Sunday free of shopping (much to my kids chagrin), free from the regular.  So this past Sunday as I saw too much of a regular day creeping in, taking hold,  I removed myself.  For nearly 21 years now, this momma doesn't get too far ...alone.  First one, quietly sat beside me ...then another climbed on my lap, while someone else sat on the arm of the couch, huddled close.  "What are you doing?"  "Praying, saying my rosary."  One left to bring back more beads and asked if they could join me.  At first I had thought my quiet time was gone ...though its always good to pray together.  Still, I had wanted a little bit of time to give God my whole list of latest complaints and suggestions for how He should operate from Heaven. As we started, two other girls gave sideways glances and settled close by, but not close enough to be accused of joining it ...but they stayed ...quietly.  And we prayed the rosary ...one of the most beautiful I've ever offered.  My little cherubs so eager and open to hear stories of each mystery, asking questions and taken by the magnitude of God's love for them.  I've known for many years the importance of the rosary.  It was an afternoon of passing on my devotion to the rosary.  I've been doing that for many many years, but there was something unique about this particular afternoon ...this particular rosary. 
Long ago, my own mother would quietly settle into the living room couch to pray her own rosary.  She'd read her book, say her prayers.  I didn't know at the time how much she was teaching me, showing me how to stay close to God.  As my kids joined me in my "quiet" prayer time, Lucy told me very softly, with a sweet smile,  "Mom, it was Phoebe who taught me the rosary.  I remember the day she showed me how."  One more little visit, nod from Heaven.  I hadn't known that, had assumed Lucy just learned as we went along ...but it was Phoebe who made it Lucy's own devotion ...had taken it from imitation to devotion.
Devotions are an important thing in the life of the faithful.  Places and times have found Catholics without Mass, without the sacraments.  What has kept the faith alive, sustained us for years and years are the devotions.  Bead by bead, the rosary links us from the past ...to the present ...to the future, our heavenly future.  It's part of our daily life ...imploring the Blessed Mother, bead by bead, to lead us to her Son. It was a gift, a treasure passed on to me.  Entrusted to me to pass on to my own.  I hope I've done that well.  In the past, I've hoped that such devotion would protect us from worldly struggles. Devotions, the rosary, are not magic potions.  Despite all the rosaries Phoebe had said, she died far too young.   Seemingly, it hasn't given us an armor that makes us totally resistant, untouchable.  But I do think it gives us sure footing ...a foundation to return to over and over as we walk through the treacherous path of life.  Devotion to the rosary doesn't remove us from the world, but I believe it aids us in walking through the world with our gaze fixed on eternity.  A gaze fixed on eternity cuts out a lot of gazing at the glitter of this world ...which can all too often distract us from God.

Each time I post, I'd like to offer a decade of the rosary for the intentions of anyone who reads here.
If you'd like to make your intentions known, post them in the comments.  So many people have prayed for Phoebe, my family, me ...I can never repay the generosity that has literally kept us afloat, kept our gaze fixed on Heaven.  It is a very small way to say THANK YOU!
Bead by precious bead ...we'll all make our way home.
Since tonight brings an end to the Christmas season as we celebrate Candlemas, the Presentation of Our Lord, I'll start out of order with the third Joyful mystery, The Presentation.  I'm asking Phoebe to join us as well ...and I think she will!

The Presentation:
Presentation: Luke 2:22-24
And after the days of her purification, according to the law of Moses, were accomplished, they carried him to Jerusalem, to present him to the Lord: As it is written in the law of the Lord: Every male opening the womb shall be called holy to the Lord: And to offer a sacrifice, according as it is written in the law of the Lord, a pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons...

On the day of the Presentation God received infinitely more glory than He had hitherto received in the temple from all the sacrifices and all the holocausts of the Old Testament. On this day it is His own Son Jesus Who is offered to Him, and Who offers to the Father the infinite homage of adoration, thanksgiving, expiation and supplication.

This is indeed a gift worthy of God.

And it is from the hands of the Virgin, full of grace, that this offering, so pleasing to God, is received. Mary's faith is perfect. Filled with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, she has a clear understanding of the value of the offering which she is making to God at this moment; by His inspirations the Holy Spirit brings her soul into harmony with the interior dispositions of the heart of her Divine Son.

Just as Mary had given her consent in the name of all humanity when the angel announced to her the mystery of the Incarnation, so also on this day Mary offers Jesus to the Father in the name of the whole human race. For she knows that her Son is "the King of Glory, the new light enkindled before the dawn, the Master of life and death." 



Taken from Fisheaters.com 


May your prayers be answered and your heart converted to true union with the will of God.


Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment