Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Duality

There's so much I want to write about tonight. The coming week is full of milestones ...days, moments that should be cause for celebration. This Tuesday Phoebe would have tuned 18, an age she deemed somewhat magical, ushering her into adulthood. On Saturday, the 21st, she would have graduated from high school, bringing an end to her days as a schoolgirl. We could reach and almost touch these days this past early fall. She talked about her graduation party ...it had to be really, really big. She wanted to celebrate.
But now, she's not here to celebrate with us. We can only acknowledge and live these days, these moments and milestones, in our hearts ...and in a supernatural way few people will understand. In this, there is both the tremendous sorrow, and also the joy that belongs to us.
Phoebe's birthday will be celebrated, acknowledged by a Mass offered for her on her birthday. It is the very best way to bring us as close to her as possible ...be united with her through the true presence of Christ's body, blood, soul and divinity in the Eucharist. This is what it means to be Catholic ...to believe and accept this ...the absolute truth of it all, even as it remains a great mystery. What will make it even more bound to Heaven, even more special and grace-filled, is that her Godson, her brother, Owen, will make his First Holy Communion at her Mass. The Eucharist is the bridge between Heaven and earth ...the bridge between us and Phoebe ...us and Christ himself, our Redeemer, our Savior, our Creator.
This is the duality of a life in Christ, a life striving to live for God ...in all ways, at all times. The intimacy of both joy and sorrow, side by side. Humanly, I want Phoebe sitting with me, giving me orders, sharing a quick smile. I want Phoebe to be here to adjust Owen's tie, ask him what kind of cake he wants ...all those details she would claim her own responsibility. I can't have any of that, but I can look to Heaven and have something even greater than my heart's human desire. I can share in the Eucharistic, supernatural miracle and mystery of Christ's True and absolute presence in Holy Communion ...and I can witness the bridge my son crosses for the first time ...that is the tremendous gift of joy for that day, her day, her eighteenth birthday.
There is no other way God could provide a greater gift ....more significant grace. He is all generous, all good ....all we ever need. And He is where my Phoebe is ...and where we will all be, together, on her birthday.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment