Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Graduation

We looked ahead to this day ...her graduation ...her finish.  Phoebe hated high school.  She liked her friends, teachers, her school ...most days anyway.  But what bothered and frustrated her were the walls, the repetition, the formula she knew was repeated every year like a script with little new added each year.  She was bright, inquisitive, creative, curious, opinionated, perceptive.  Phoebe was a thinker ...a real, true thinker.  We had laughed in our living room over the necessity of high school.  She told me her party had to be really, really big.  "You're so, so close, it'll be over before you know it."  It was to be my day too.  After all, it was this girl I had home schooled, chased after, accommodated ...loved.  But today is different than I thought it would be.
Good things took its place.  Mary Claire had  her first ballet recital and in true Mary Claire form, after her group curtsied with her in the middle, she jumped high and with both hands blew wide kisses ...and then again.  Of course drawing chuckles from the audience.
Our friend's baby was baptized ....and we got to see little Grace welcomed into the Church.  These are good things.  Things that Phoebe could have been part of.  She would have laughed at Mary Claire and teased her about her stage presence.  Mary Claire had told me on the way that she was concerned she would be shy.  It was the way she said it that led me to believe no such fear existed for her ...that this was a day under the lights and she was going to get as much out of it as possible.  "Just admit it Mary Claire, you want to be a superstar, huh?" I can hear Phoebe saying to her. 
I don't have much else to say ...thoughts race through my head.  It is a day I find hard to understand God's ways. I do trust Him ...but tell me, how does someone like Phoebe die as she did.  How?
Phoebe ....of ALL people ...not her.  I wonder, does she see me cry, sob, scream for her?  Does she see Owen weep because she will not be there for him at his party for his First Communion?  We will celebrate that tomorrow, the day marked off so many months back for her graduation party.   Together we remember her and he tells me he knows she is right here with him, but he just wants to see her.  Me too.  We're just plain sad, that simple.  Phoebe didn't doddle ...she whipped through life, energy all around her.  Where are you sweet one?  Why did you leave us?  Didn't you know how sad we would be? 
I can't grasp at what I know, what I at times understand and take comfort in.  I can't find God tonight ...His whispers are absent.  Tonight, I just want to hold her, look at her diploma, smile.  Not to be. 
Tomorrow is another day ...another twist and turn in this roller coaster of grief.  For sure tomorrow will be different ....it always is.  Except she still won't be here.  Phoebe will still be gone ...and that will never change.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Today was a sad day for you, I can tell. Even the joy of "happy" events was not enough today. I am reading a book and I have thought of you more than a few times. It is Somewhere More Holy by Tony Woodlief. It's a tough one, even for me without recent loss, but very good, very true.

    In the first chapter he says "...we want to know why the all-powerful God who claims to love us did not dash in to prevent our catastrophe. Often the answer is simply: It is not for you to know. This is a hard answer, but sometimes it is the only answer, and so we take solace in knowing that God grieves with us."

    Someday we will know, but for now we must live with the mystery. We must trust in God that we don't need to know. That is how we get our information from God -- on a need-to-know basis. What is good for us, we will know.

    Keeping you in prayer today at Mass. Hope today is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn,

    You are such a witness to our Faith. Each day when our feet hit the floor, we do the best we can to serve and walk towards the light, no matter how difficult it is for us in the circumstances.

    Your family's intentions were lifted in prayer at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass yesterday. I prayed for Owen and Phoebe in a special way.

    ReplyDelete