Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Poem

Someone handed something to me tonight ....a gentle reminder of the role we play in our children's lives.

God's Lent Child

"I'll lend for you a little while
A child of mine," God said -
"For you to love the while
she lives,
And mourn for when she's dead.

It may be one or two years
Or forty two or three;
But will you, till I call her back,
Take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to
gladden you
And - (should her stay be brief) -
You'll have her lovely  memories
As a solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay,
Since ALL from earth return;
But the lessons taught below
I want this child to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
In search of teachers true;
And from the things that crowd
Life's lane - I have chosen you.

Will you give her all your love?
Nor think the labor vain?
Nor hate me when I come to take
This lent child back again?

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord, Thy will be done.
For joys Thy child will bring
The risk of grief will run.

We will shelter her with tenderness,
We'll love her while we may -
And for the happpiness we've known
Forever grateful stay.

But should Thy angels call her
Much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the grief that comes
And try to understand."

-Florence Correa

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment