Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Little Gifts

Most often I visit the cemetery alone. I find comfort in my little private moments at Phoebe's resting spot under the big tree with the branch perfect for a swing. All day I had wanted to get there ...and one thing after another delayed my visit. I want to plant new flowers for her, but that didn't happen today. Instead, seeing a brief window of opportunity, I clipped some of our plentiful rhododendrons, tied with a chiffon ribbon and headed off with Owen, my youngest son ...Phoebe's Godson. We were the only ones there, and as I approached I could see something low to the ground, moving, on the road. I stopped and Owen hopped out. Up ahead was a box turtle, waddling. He was thrilled. "I think Phoebe brought you a present." "She always does" he answered. We made our visit with the turtle crawling over the little plot where her body rests. He really wanted to bring it home. The funny thing was ...that turtle followed Owen all the way back to the car. So amusing. It had gone from running away from him, to following him to the car as if it would hop in and come along.
As we drove away, Owen recounted all the times he's visited Phoebe here, and all the little gifts she brings him. Among them three deer, a frog (not a toad ...a frog! ...there is no water nearby) ...and today a turtle. He is sure they are all from her. So am I.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment