Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Monday, October 25, 2010

Putting on the Brakes

Yesterday was a busy day.  I usually like Sundays to be quiet ...just focused on God.  No shopping, no organized sports ...just peace and gratitude.  I'm grateful for the business now, it keeps us going, helps us measure life in small increments of time.  Anyway, we had multiple places to be, people to see ...and some of it didn't work, didn't seem right for all of us.  So, we took two cars to Mass.  After, we gathered there with friends for a short time and then headed home to change for our football party.  My husband headed to another gathering he'd planned on going to for some time.  He didn't reach the football party until the sun began to set ...a couple hours later than expected.  I missed him, really missed him.  The sight of him settles me.  It is a blessing, I know.  So, I grew restless waiting for him to arrive.  When he did, he had changed his clothes.  I felt a little sad that he hadn't rushed to be with me and the kids, that he had taken the time to go home ...alone ...and change out of his suit.  But then he told me the story, which made me cry.
On his way to Mass, the car in front, stopped short.  Slamming the breaks he felt something give ...the breaks.  He was close enough that he coasted his way to Mass, arriving ahead of us.  We discussed the logistics of the rest of the day and parted ways.  After we left, he stuck his head under the hood of the car and up walked a long-time friend, a priest not affiliated with the parish.  There was talk of seeing him ...and there he was.  Father, followed Stephen to lunch, and then to our trusted mechanic.  How they made it I don't know, but they did?  Then, he drove Stephen home.  As they pulled in the driveway, Father offered to bless the house  (I've been wanting this!).  My heart soared as he told me this.  Of course I asked if it was a good job ...Stephen chuckled.  Every room was blessed, sprinkled with holy water.  Then he blessed our yard.  Thoroughly, fully, completely entrusted to God ...my home is restored.  My breath is easier now, my shoulders less tense.
I told Stephen that I think its the nicest thing Phoebe has done for us!  Thank you Phoebe, but most especially ...thank you, dear God, for that incredible blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment