Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Washing of the Eyes

It's late, midnight actually, and I should be in bed.  But I wanted to write something ...helps me sleep.
Us moms spend a lot of time doing for everyone ...cooking, cleaning, teaching, healing,  holding ....For me, my friendships are essential and I do my best to nurture them.  That's hard though, as any mom knows, because our time with friends is often fleeting ...just snatches here and there.
Tonight I started some shopping for Christmas ...a bit of time alone, choosing a few things, looking at socks Phoebe would have loved to mix and match.  But the best part of the night was seeing my friend.  A late night meeting for some hot chocolate ...and a good cry.  We miss her ...Phoebe.  Both of us.  Phoebe's best friends were her girls, are her girls.  We kept an eye on the three of them ...and one more added to the mix.  We would giggle over their way with each other.  Phoebe ... she liked to mix it up.  Phoebe and Brigid ...oh what a pair!
Phoebe:  "Brigid, why do you always step on the stairs that way."
Brigid: "What are you talking about, I step on the stairs exactly as one should."
Phoebe: "No you don't, you're trying to break the stairs.  Look, you've already cracked that one."
Brigid: "Phoebe, you have no idea what your talking about, that's not a crack, that's the grain in the wood, why would you accuse me of ruining your stairs."
Phoebe: "Um, Brigid, why don't you look a bit closer. When my dad sees he's gonna be really mad."
Brigid:  "Why would you blame it on me?  Do you have any wood glue, or a nail?  I'll fix it right now."
Phoebe: "You wouldn't have to if you climbed the stairs properly"
Brigid: "Can you help me?"
Phoebe: "I think my dad needs to take  a look. The whole staircase might need to be rebuilt."
Brigid: "Are you kidding me?  You obviously don't know anything about construction, Phoebe.  It's a simple crack in the wood.  Get me the tools and I'll fix it."
Phoebe: "Don't bother, that crack has been there since we moved in."
And so it would go.  Like an old married couple.  How we will miss that, us two moms.  Watching these two headstrong girls give each other a good run while we watched from the side. 
The tears flowed, no interruptions, just us two moms missing a girl, my girl.  Wondering what God was thinking when he plucked her from our midst.  Knowing that He loves us, loves here, and holds her close in His mercy.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment