Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Think about!

Have you ever noticed when something changes in your life you seem to meet so many others who've experienced the same thing?  Before, you wouldn't think much about it.  It can be very simple to catastrophic, a lovely change or devastating.  A family buys a boat ...and suddenly, a whole new world opens up to them ...boat world.  Conversation about makes and models, to trailer or moore, gas prices ...the whole bit bring people together, put the antennae up.  Or, a child dies, tragically by suicide ...and suddenly you hear about the frequency of suicide among teens.  The search for understanding ...the literal search to survive introduces us to a world we may not have seen before.  Now, we, my husband and I ...and oldest, are keenly aware of this happening.  There will never be an answer for us, we will always grapple with why and how.  Sure, we have some thoughts.  I know for me, I will write a pretty solid story that makes sense to me, I'll revise it along the way, tweak it here and there, but I'll make it fit in my life, give me a sense of understanding so I can go on.  But as I do, I'll meet people along the way, read things, hear some more ...and sadly learn of others who, for no understandable reason, no forewarning, ended their life.  We've just learned of another young man, everything going for him ...a family who loved him, good student, great activities ...happy.  From nowhere, no signs, no depression, no obvious struggle, no "maybe" struggle ...nothing ...ended his life.  I hear this and my chest caves in as far as it can.  I know the heart crushing struggle to survive those early days ...trying to breath, wondering if you will be able to live on.
Teen suicide is happening more and more ....and we need to ask why.  There's a few, but incredibly powerful,  reasons creating a world which offers overbearing pressure, unreasonable expectations, and very little hope for living one's life in an original, healthy passionate way.  Bottom line, no one is exempt from this risk.  I don't want to scare people, but we all should be on high alert ...I'm just hearing too many stories.  Our world, our culture is destroying our young.  Most, of course, will go on to live lives that seemingly mimic our own ...but with a backdrop far more morbid than ours.
Those who know me well, know there is one issue that I believe is causing the greatest strife our nation, our children and even ourselves have or will ever see ...abortion.  It is an undeniable evil.   It is a single issue.  Many try to blend it with poverty, immigration, education ....etc.  It is a single issue.  The single most important issue of our day.  Killing  our own future ...and calling it "choice" is a deceptive and outrageous acceptance of murder.  I'm sure there are many who cringe at these words I write.  I wish you could have sat at my kitchen counter and listened to my own daughter speak about this.  Understandably, she couldn't wrap her head around why, how this could have happened in our world.  It made her question God.  How could a good God allow innocent babies to be slaughtered at a rate of over 4000 a day.  We are now facing a world where babies are being killed after being born.  Remember when partial birth abortion was only for the "most necessary" cases, where the mother could die?  It couldn't go further, right?  Wrong!  It has.  And how do you think our own national treasures, our children, see this?  As Catholics, we have an obligation to speak out about this atrocity.  Too many have been silent.  Too many proudly parade around, campaigning, endorsing, contributing to politicians who have the most pro-abortion stands to come our way.  When a Catholic does that, with reckless abandon, they step outside of their faith and are no longer Catholic, regardless of how involved they are in their local parish.  It is a scandal to our faith.  This is not my opinion.  It is the plain, sad truth.  If someone steps outside, and no priest corrects them ...then another has stepped outside the faith.  Too often, we smooth over the rough, raw edges of this issue, ignoring the true brutality it is, ignoring a culture with blood on its hands.  I know this sounds angry ...who do I think I am to call others on this?  I have an obligation as a baptized and confirmed Catholic to make the truth known.  Now you know!  I am sharing the truth of our faith, that is swept under the rug ...while babies die and our children look on.  The message to our kids is that they are disposable, expendable ...only have value if they add to their parent's lives.  Today, the definition of adding to their parents' lives is by performing ...being exceptional in some way.  Look at how we groom our kids to have at least one accomplishment to make them stand apart.  Some of this is good, cultivating talents is good ...but look at the pressure, look at the cost to our children.  Watch our kids as they try to cultivate genuine friendships that are mutually encouraging and supportive.  Usually, we can see kids undermining, racing their friends ...those are not the friendships I have ...and I certainly don't want that kind for my children.  We've been blessed, thankfully, with long-time friendships that care about the true well-being of each. 
What does this have to do with suicide ...with Phoebe?  Plenty.  The world is a dark cold place, that kills its young and calls that a good.  We need to wake up!  When our helpless babies are destroyed ....what message does that send to our children?  Tell me.  Do you really think they are immune to the message?  If you do, look long and hard, pray deeply for God to lead you to the truth ...because it already cost me one of my own. Phoebe couldn't make sense of a world that kills its own babies.  You cannot tell me this did not help skew her thoughts in a moment of darkness.   I don't want any other person to ever go through the dark agony that has become part of my life.  Abortion is the hinge issue ...the most important, critical issue of our time.  Ignore it if you want ...but that's just what you're doing ...ignoring it.  But it will still be true, will still be gutting our nation of our future.  Just like abortion paved the way for euthanasia ...it has paved the way for teen suicide ...watch the numbers climb.  I'd rather lower the numbers ...get rid of them.  I'd like to see an end to suicide.  I believe if more of us speak out and recognize the evil abortion is ...both abortion and teen suicide numbers will fall.  With all the "sex ed", abortion numbers are now on the rise and for sure, teen suicide is taking on a momentum that should make us all shiver.
God is asking us to be courageous, to treasure his creations, to protect the sanctity of all human life from the moment of conception to natural death.  I pray for that courage, for myself ...and the rest of us.  I've included two links.  They are worth watching and listening too ...do yourselves, your children, your nation a favor, pay attention. It will take about six minutes of your time ...but it could literally save a life ...I'd say that would be worth the precious six minutes you invest here.

Personhood
http://www.lifesitenews.com/blog/must-watch-abortion-speech-by-ronald-reagan

Race to Nowhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uem73imvn9Y

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. thank you for the video links - I will pass them along. I believe you have spoken the truth here, that our young people have learned from this culture of abortion that their lives are not valued and that they are disposable....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phoebe holding the sun...beautiful, beautiful Phoebe...

    ReplyDelete