Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Friday, January 7, 2011

Trio

I like the number three.  My favorite number is seven, but three comes pretty close.  I work well in threes.  I think in threes.  So tonight, three was a good number ...Phoebe's three.  In they came, one, two, three!  Phoebe's nearest and dearest friends made their way into our house, settled in ...and I think for the first time since she died, actually felt at home, safe.  There is an ease that comes from watching each other grow.  One and two have been around for a while, first watching from afar, and then closer as they gradually grew in friendship, until it was formed, rooted ...forever.  Three came along more recently into Phoebe's life, but the stride matched immediately, as if it had always been.  I love these girls.  They loved her ....no drama, no on then off friendships only to be on again ...they took all of her, and just loved.  I spent a good bit of time with them and Phoebe in my kitchen.  And we did, once again, tonight.  They are part of us, part of the wounded, part of the rebuilders, part of our new life.
When someone dies, there is the obvious loss of that person ...the hopes, dreams, plans, space.  But there is another loss  ...of people ...who go.  Once part of the life your loved one lived, they dribble and drabble away, finding no reason to stay ...not realizing the unresolved they are walking away from.  Sometimes there is no other way, there is not enough history with the survivors to unite them.  Sometimes there is so much pain, too hard to handle, perhaps they feel it can't possibly compare to the immediate survivors, and out of courtesy, stay away.
Not knowing the right words, the right time, the right place keeps people away.  And yet, there are also times when people just lose interest, move on and beyond, leaving behind something that wasn't quite so important to them after all.  All of these, and more reasons for staying away, are understandable.
With every loss, no matter how severe, there is a gain.  There are those who stay ...and that ...is always good.
We've been blessed. Many have stayed.  This trio of young woman ...have stayed.  It has not been easy for them ...they have lives to build, people to meet ...but they have stayed.  I'm not talking about physical staying, that just isn't practical.  I'm talking about the hearts that stay.  Three of her dearest hearts have stayed, are keeping watch, holding on.
Often, I've found myself at a loss for words when something profound is witnessed.  Here I am again.  I know how much Phoebe loved these three, what they meant to her, how they "fit" her.  They are three treasures, she has left for me, three treasures to rest my heart in ....and let my heart love them as I had loved her. 
The tears, the laughter (Phoebe was funny, quirky, creative) the memories, the what ifs ...all flowed tonight. These three and her four sisters and me ...Phoebe's life of girls.
We're still here Phoebe ...waiting on you!  We've got some living to do, some things to make you proud, but one day , for sure ....we'll let you hold court, singing your songs, bossing all of us around, pushing onward to the next big adventure.
God has generously blessed us with you girlie ...each of us ...and we all know it.  There will never be another like Phoebe ...another like you.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment