Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gentle Soul

A very gentle and kind soul passed away this past week.  Michael O'Connor was an unassuming man of little means but tremendous faith.  I met him a few years ago when I was first introduced to the Traditional Latin Mass.  He attended regularly when it was offered at Holy Trinity ...an elegant, treasure of a church. The diocese closed the parish of Holy Trinity, sadly, and in my humble opinion (shared by many) unnecessarily.  There is a whole bunch of information surrounding this that I won't go into.  Interestingly, however, the church was put on the market with Sotheby's recently by the archdiocese, listing it at $2.5 million ...a pathetic figure given the magnificence and location of the church.  The Vatican was contacted by many people concerned and well aware that this violated the proper care and sale of church property.  There are very specific steps and protocol that must be gone through before selling property that housed the actual body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.  In this Church, Christ became truly present through the consecration.  It isn't something to be taken lightly.  Sadly, though, most Catholics don't believe in the True Presence, which makes preserving all things ordered to Him difficult at times.  Interestingly, the church was "unlisted" from the market.  Makes me wonder what Michael had to do with that change.  I believe he died just prior to it being taken off the market.  And I imagine he loved the church and all its glory.  For me, its an example of how simple souls are anchors of the faith and Truth.  You wouldn't have looked twice at this unassuming man ...and yet his faith was far more profound than some very learned and impeccably articulate "theologians" and "teachers" of the faith.  Tonight, my children were riveted by his story ...and his passing.  I'm quite sure his is a story they will remember and consider many times during their lives.
When the Mass moved to Mary Immaculate of Lourdes in Newton a few years ago, Michael couldn't attend.  The use of public transportation was complicated.  Though I didn't see him, I did often think of him.  When Phoebe died, he sent me a note and donation.  I was so moved ...still am. He really didn't have the means to offer anything to us, and yet he did.  His note was beautiful, so caring.  I wouldn't have thought he'd remember me.  Interesting that yesterday I wrote about the letters I need to write still.  He hadn't yet received one from me.  So I wrote one for him tonight and prayed for his soul, offering a Divine Mercy Chaplet. 
When a child dies and the family has been blessed with a network of friends ...the outpouring is huge.  The death is so public because children aren't supposed to die.  It's all good and right for that to happen ...we needed that, still do.  But when a simple, gentle soul dies ....without a family of his own, so few notice.  His life was seemingly small, but I imagine his welcome into eternity was majestic.  His faith was so strong and certain ...I can only imagine how well pleased God is with him and the work of his life.  Please pray for the repose of the soul of Michael O'Connor. 

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment