Memorare

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Inspiration

Yesterday, I was able to attend Michael O'Connors (Gentle Soul) funeral.  The last funeral for me was Phoebe's ...in the same church.  Micheal was a really simple man ...with very few things ...and few friends her on earth.  But I'm willing to bet he had many friends in Heaven.  I did not know him well at all, but as you may be able to tell, something has drawn me to him, opened my heart to this quiet, unassuming man.  Certainly, his reaching out with a generous heart after Phoebe's death resonated with me.  But there is something more.  His purity of intent.
After the funeral mass, there was a small gathering before his burial.  His simple ...but profoundly elegant, pine coffin would lay him to rest ...confirming the end of his life her on earth.  Something was being distributed in the vestibule ...a biography ...an autobiography.  It is perhaps the most beautiful autobiography I have ever read.  This simple man chronicled his journey, his ascent towards God.  He measured his life by his steps towards God ...that is all.  Surely, he had other events, happenings, highlights ...none captured here ...none part of his final story.  Only ...and I mean only, his steps towards God, including his struggle with sin.  I've crossed paths with Michael on my own walk towards God.  I am far less simple, far less unassuming ...my ego is gigantic compared to his.  I want what he had ...and even more, what I am sure he has now, for all eternity.
In this chaotic, upside down world, where God is so often mocked ...He is still the only way ...the only real measure of our life.  I want my autobiography to look like Micheal's  ...one step at a time ...with God always first.

Eternal rest grant unto Phoebe and may perpetual light shine upon her.  May she rest in peace.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment